Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Emma Lamb Doily Love



in this Mollie Makes Crochet book I found a doily pattern by Emma Lamb. If you don't know her yet, you have to hurry and click through. I have loved Emma's work since I found her pretty blog back in 2010 when I started blogging. her pretty crochet makes and lovely colour stories on her blog are a feast to my eyes and endlessly inspiring. 
I was delighted to see a couple of patterns from Emma in this book and immediately fell in love with this doily. the colourful, sturdy centre and leaf-star around it, a scallop edging... actually she got me already at the scallop edging haha. Emma gave her doily a brick red centre, I decided to go for more muted tones. I started with deep eggplant purple of the fine Catania thread, quickly made a dark blue one too. 


and then it hit me. I can do different sizes! out came my Catania left-over box and I made this one with a dark green centre. a perfect match with one of my favourite cups.



and then, the big one. the giant. a doily the size of almost a little floor rug as you can see in the picture below. made with Catania Grande and hook size 5 mm I totally blew up the pattern. and I love it!


as you can see very well in the picture above, the edgings do not all have the exact same colour. for the details on which yarns I used, have a look below.


of course I can think of a gazillion more colour combinations and may be I will be tempted to make a couple more... after all Fall has really arrived now. rainy days, spent warm inside by candle light do ask for a bit of crochet in my hands. if you are looking for a nice project, that is possibly done with scrappy bits of yarn, taking you not too long to finish and giving pretty result that can also be given as a gift, this is your project. look for the Mollie Makes Crochet book on your amazon or bol site or at the local bookstore and find Emma Lamb's pretty doily pattern.



22 comments:

  1. Leuk zijn ze hoor! Ik maakte er ook een (zie: http://ellebel5.blogspot.nl/2013/09/mollie-makes-haken.html), ik vind dit patroon dan ook helemaal het einde! Wil er meer maken, maar teveel projecten op dit moment :-).

    Groetjes van Ellebel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die van jou is ook mooi Ellebel, prachtig met dat blauw en ook perfect passend bij je mok, leuk! Teveel projecten on the go dat ken ik wel ja... daarom heb ik deze maar gauw afgemaakt haha

      xx
      Maaike

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! You are clever to have made different sizes, and I have never seen anyone crochet a rug before! Would make a great table centrepiece I would imagine. Glad that you are enjoying your book. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Amy, yes I use the largest one as a centrepiece now :) xx

      Delete
  3. absolutely wonderful work. very feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours you've used...

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. !Realmente maravilloso!adoro todo lo que haces!preciosos colores.Quizás lo intente...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leuk,ik heb ze ook gehaakt,ze zien er zo gezellig uit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leuke kleur combinatie.
    Groetjes Sandracreaties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh they are so nice...I so wish I could crochet as good as you.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them your choice of colours are so contemporary.
    Did you get the patterns from the Mollie Make book or did you design them yourself ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Irene, the pattern is from the book as shown in the pictures. xx

      Delete
  10. they are beautiful! i'd like to eventually get into making doilies. something about a small hook and thin yarn scares me though. i feel like it would take me forever lol. but i love the way yours came out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know, hence the reason I blew them up by using bigger yarn. it is so funny to see what different yarn and hook size can do to a pattern. I'd say give it a go! xx

      Delete
  11. lovvve them! love the colors you chose, very subtle and they go very well with most colors!
    thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow! I love all of them. I recently bought that book used, but I don't remember that pattern. I'll have to go give it another look. LOVE the giant one you made!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so gorgeous!!!! Love Love Love them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just gorgeous, oh no, I'm going to have to buy that book now!! ;)

    S x

    ReplyDelete

~ sweet thank you for your lovely words ~