Saturday, May 7, 2011

Crochet hexagon tutorial

the crochet hexagon tutorial


this hexagon consists of 6 rounds
of course you can stop at practically any round
if the hexagon has reached the size you had in mind

this hexagon is based on Bunny Mummy Jacquie's mini hexagon pattern
she is the sweetest lady to give me permission to show you the pattern described below
that is based on her great tutorial

~ thank you so much again Jacquie ~


1. ROUND 1: make a loop on the hook
2. chain 4
3. close loop of chainstitches by instering hook in fist stitch, yarn over, pull through
4. round 1 finished


5. ROUND 2: chain 2
6. yarn over, insert hook in chain, yarn over, pull yarn through all 3 loops on hook
7. stitch 1 (of 6 in this round) is finished
8. chain 2

9. stitch of round 2: yarn over, insert hook in ring of round 1, yarn over, pull yarn through 2 loops on hook
10. yarn over, insert hook in ring, yarn over, pull yarn through all 4 loops on hook
11. chain 2
12. repeat stitch (combination of image 9 and 10) 4 times to make a total of 6 in this round, close round by slip stitch into second stitch of image 5

13. round 2 is finished
14. ROUND 3: single crochet into closest gap between the stitches of round 2
15. ready to start round 3
16. round 3 consists of stitches made the following way: yarn over, insert hook in gap between stitches of round 2, yarn over, pull yarn through all 3 loops on hook

17. repeat stitch as described image 16
18. chain 2 (this is your first hexagon-corner)
19. two times stitch as in 16, in the same gap as the stitches in 17. So, in this 3rd round, in every gap, you make 2 stitches as in 16, chain 2, 2 stitches as in 16
20. close round 3 with slip stitch in first stitch as made in 15


21. round 3 is finished ~ pattern by Jacquie stops here
22. ROUND 4: chain 2
23. round 4 consists of double crochet stitches in the gaps between the stitches of round 3
24. double crochet: yarn over, insert hook in gap between the stitches, yarn over, pull yarn through 2 loops on hook, yarn over, pull yarn through 2 loops left on hook


25. corners: double crochet, chain 2, double crochet in same corner
26. this is what the corner will look like
27. on every side of the hexagon, you will create 5 double crochet
28. close round 4 with slip stitch in second chain stitch as in image 22. If the current size of the hexagon is what you were looking for, finish now.


29. ROUND 5: chain 2
30. work your double crochet around all 6 sides as in round 4, but now with 6 double crochet instead of 5
31. finish round 5 with slip stitch in second stitch of image 29. If the current size of the hexagon is what you were looking for, finish now.


32. ROUND 6: the final round, consists of the same stitches as in round 3: yarn over, insert hook in gap between stitches of round 2, yarn over, pull yarn through all 3 loops on hook
33. one stitch is made
34. in the corners, use 3 chain stitches
35. you will have 7 stitches on every side of the hexagon


36. close round 6 with slip stitch in first stitch of this round as in image 33
37. Tadaa! Your hexagon is finished

again, I would love to know if the pattern works for you
all comments to improve it are more than welcome

~ happy hexagon crochet ~

in a few posts from now I will show you one way to join them, like I did in this blanket

Have a lovely day!


if you appreciate this tutorial and like to see more in the future, you are welcome to



14 comments:

  1. those hexagons are nice!
    can't wait to make some, but first i have to finish my traditional granny square blanket ;-)

    have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are getting REALLY good with these tutorials!!! Thanks so much! I only know a few motivs, so this is helpful to learn how to do more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....what a lot of work on your part for such a wonderful tutorial...just wish I could crochet...never to late to learn right?

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dank je wel voor je handige tutorials! Ik brei heel veel, haken doe ik minder vaak, 'kan' ik wat minder goed maar lijkt me ook heerlijk om te doen. Jouw tutorials komen dan goed van pas.

    Wat een mooie, gezellige en kleurrijke blog heb je, kom wat vaker langs als je het goed vindt.

    Groeten, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant tutorial Maaike! My hexagons seem to have slowed down a bit as I have so many projects on the go at the moment! I am loving them though and cannot wait to have a finished article!!!!!

    Have a lovely day!!!!

    Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Maaike...this is a great tutorial for me...the photographs explain things so clearly...there is no excuse for me now my friend!..
    Wishing you a lovely Sunday..
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oe la la, wat een uitdaging! Ik ga het proberen! Bedankt alvast! Is vast veel werk geweest om alles op de foto te zetten!

    Fijne dag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Maaike, I know this is a lot of work :0) Thanks for the sweet things you said and for linking . I would love to try these some time . I must get on with my tutorial now .
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bedankt voor deze leuke tutorial, ik ga het zeker eens uittesten.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a tutorial! All the work behind it, my oh my. Big appleauds (or however it is spelled)! :D My arm is acting up - AGAIN! SO typical. My beautiful hexagons resting quietly in my crochet basket... But I am almost finished with Emmy's Quilt instead (about time I would have to say...). When one can't hook, one can sew. :D Posting soon. Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to try this!!! I've never crochet but my mother makes beautiful things. Hopefully I do ok cuz I'd love to show her something I've made :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh I must definitely try this, I have absolutely no idea how to crochet.

    your blog is absolutely delicious, I will definitely stay a while ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really is wonderful and exactly what I was looking for. Simple.

    ReplyDelete

~ sweet thank you for your lovely words ~