Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Double the Yarn, Double the Fun



an out take of my contribution to the latest Gatherings Magazine; a little cloth, potholder, doll blanket or what your imagination sees in it, made from yarn scraps. I knitted this piece with double strands and I must say I love how fast it comes together and the endless possibilities in color variety it gives us. 

if you are planning to make something similar yourself, keep in mind that you want to use about double the needle size too. I have been experimenting with crocheting double strands as well and am quite pleased with the results, will show them to you soon. have you tried working with double strands on your hook or needles lately? if not, my suggestion is you grab a cup of your favorite tea or coffee together with your yarn scraps, a decent sized hook or needles and give it a go. I would love to hear about your experience!



14 comments:

  1. I knit and crochet with double yarn a lot, it's fun because you can make your work go a lot faster, you get a thicker fabric and it gives a different texture and look ... In fact I think the white cowl I just posted was knitted with double yarn. I like it!
    I think it looks really fun the way you changed colors using a bit of the old yarn and adding a bit of the new one...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see this. I made a cowl for my daughter with double strands, I used one color. I like the effect (and she does too, she uses the col always, sometimes she sleepes with it :-) )
    I like the effect of the colours you use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours you have used and the photography Is lovely - I've just knitted a pouffe in double yarn which was hard on the hands but grew so quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je combineert de kleuren altijd zo leuk. Heel mooie deze pastels samen. Groetjes Talitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. I love the colours you've used, that coral pink and mustard combo with the aqua and teal colours is one of my favs at the moment. Gorgeous eye candy here today my lovely!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started working on a little double yarn crochet project last night! I love how it is looking. Thanks for your very pretty blog, I enjoy visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colours!
    I,m following you.
    xoxo
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have recently, its for a cardigan for my little girl. I love the effect, i have used a deep pink with a fluo pink and it tones down the fluo but makes it look bright as well. I will definatley do it again, yours looks interesting using lots of different colours and double strand crochet seems like it has possibilities too. Thanks, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to use double yarn for color effects, as you did, or when the yarn is too fine and I need it a little bulkier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wundervolle farben und deko!!! alles liebe von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course, double yarn double fun
    I love to crochet pretty little nests with double yarn, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deze kleurencombi is geweldig; ik blijf maar kijken. :-)

    ReplyDelete

~ sweet thank you for your lovely words ~